Click on any picture to see it better!

Saturday, June 21, 2008

MEA Screening & Endorsements

A very interesting couple of days listening to the candidates from Maine who are trying to get elected to the US Congress and the US Senate. As usual, the MEA put on a great show. I don't think I should say who our Association is endorsing at this time (there should be a press release in mid-July), but I must say the process was fair and productive. We just discussed educational issues with the candidates, and voted based on those discussions. The tough race was for the senate as both Tom Allen and Susan Collins have been friends of ours on most issues. It really came down to what the future might look like in terms of party majority and the race for the White House. I had a chance to talk individually with all the candidates, and here are the highlights:
  • Susan Collins remembered me from bringing students to her office about 4 years ago, which made me feel pretty good.
  • I talked to Chellie Pingree about my dad being the principal at North Haven in the late 60's (where she is from) - and she lit up, and can't wait to ask the old-timers on the island if they remember him.
  • Tom Allen and I talked about our VERY different experiences dealing with school budgets from Portland in the 1980's and Whitefield today.
  • I was more impressed with Pingree than I was prepared to be. (I voted for Strimling in the primary)
  • Charlie Summers has the "look" to be in Congress - tall, thin, good-looking, big white teeth...but that's about it.

I like the picture that accompanies this post because one robot is red while the other is blue. One more note - my good friend Fab's wife Cindy works for the MEA and did all the legwork to put this weekend together, and it was professional, efficient, and made all of us look good. I am looking forward to the NEA-RA even MORE now!

~MET

No comments: